Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Protection and Reversal Magick

Most of my faithful readers know about Inominandum (Jason Miller)'s book, Protection and Reversal Magick. Either you read his blog, have read the book yourself, or you remember me mentioning it a while ago.

After speaking at Thelesis (an AWESOME experience that I'd GLADLY do again), I found myself suffering all the symptoms of being hexed. I don't know if I offended an attendant, or if my Christian presentation upset the OTO Egregore (The Christians to the Lions! is a Crowleyism that runs deep in Thelema, from my own experience, although NOT at Thelesis, they were truly a great group of folks).

I like to think it was an Ordeal. I took on the mantle of Hierophant in a more active way, and the Powers that Be saw fit to test my mettle to demonstrate to me that I need to be aware that if I'm going to teach things of a spiritual nature, I can expect a spiritual test to demonstrate I have the right to do so.

However, the most probable cause was simply Mercury going retrograde the day after the Thelesis lecture.

Anyway, whatever the cause, I ended up in exactly what Jason describes in his book as a "crossed condition." It was relatively easy to fix, once I recognized the symptoms, and things immediately got better after a quick ritual. Having read his book gave me the ability to figure out that something wasn't working right and a clue about what to do to fix it.

If you haven't already, you really should buy and read this book. It also provides some insights into a method he uses to work with Hekate that would be really useful to people looking for a way to use traditional grimoire magical techniques in a more pagan friendly way than is sometimes presented in the classical grimoires themselves.