Monday, June 15, 2009

Magic Just for Fun

It's funny, I get into the habit of doing magic only when I need something, or only when I want to learn something. I mean, I think we all do, right?

But what about just hanging out with the spirits? When I first started doing magic, I thought they were cool, and I liked the stuff I learned and received, but it was the thrill of being in the room with the spirits that drove me.

Over time, I guess I just got used to it. So I sort of did the rising through the spheres thing, and burned the occasional candle near Bune's sigil, or conjured some Goetic spirits to address certain parts of my life...

But they're there for more. You know? We're friends with the spirits. That's why they do what we want, in part. They love us. Love is important. Friends are important. Establishing relationships with the spirits is important.

Maybe it's because I don't have a big social life, but I never really realized that people like to hang out together. It may be shocking, but I really don't particularly like people much. They tend to do stupid things. I'm not saying I don't do stupid things, but that's just it. I don't want to hang out with people as prone to stupidity as I am, and on the whole, most folks I've met in life are pretty darned prone to being stupid.

But the spirits! They're cool just to hang out with. And you can't help but be raised to their level, or at least closer to it, just by hanging out with them. The Greeks had it right, they'd totally hang out with the spirits, share a beer or jug of wine with them, and just talk. They Worked with them too, of course, how can you not, but they enjoyed their time with the spirits.

So with that in ind, me and my handy dandy Box are spending more time hanging out with the spirits. I'm putting the seals I have in metal of the spirits I need to work with the most across the electrodes and letting the battery run down while the light projects through the sphere. I'm conjuring them and just hanging out, not doing anything but talking with them, enjoying their company, and hopefully giving them a chance to enjoy mine. Maybe it's like Jason's offering technique, I dunno, but it's been a lot of fun. There's no urgency, so there's more time to just hang out and discuss things. there are no distractions, because it's something I can do while I'm falling asleep. I suppose it's a lot like meditation or rising through the spheres, but it's more of an approach without any agenda. Old friends getting together.