Monday, October 26, 2009

Important Article on "The Secret"

Brother Stenwick has an article up that if you haven't read, you should, especially if you've fallen into the trap of The Secret. I especially like how he applies the logic of The Secret to the presentation that killed people.

My boss has a "The Secret" quote a day calendar on her desk. She faithfully reads each one each day. She got it as a gift from her best friend, so she tries to keep up with it in case there's anything to it. She also wore a bracelet with eyes on it to a meeting with our Project Sponsor to keep away the influence of the evil eye. We got to talking hoodoo and laying a line of brick dust across the conference room door to see who could or couldn't come in.

I think she's a mundane type who watches a lot of stuff on TV, and learned hoodoo from The Skeleton Key movie. She might be a root doctor for all I know though. Life is weird.

But the pervasiveness of The Secret is annoying. If I wrote a book that presented real magic that could do most of the stuff that people think The Secret promises, no one would buy it. (Actually, I did, I wrote the Modern Goetic Grimoire, but I didn't get into some of the stuff that using it can do, I figured people would figure it out on their own and from the spirits themselves.)

I really appreciated Scott's article on the subject today. I hope it clears some things up in the whole Mind Over Matter front. When people realize that Mind is Matter, and that the manipulation of one is the manipulation of the other, life will be easier for most people, but people need to understand what MIND matter is made of. (Hint: it ain't mine, and it ain't yours.)