Monday, April 05, 2010

Holy Crap! Really?!

Ok, I get a kick out of reading the Register's output on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) run by CERN. I didn't even know what a boffin WAS until I started reading their stuff. Very interesting stuff going on there in Geneva these days.

But, Dude... Check this out.

A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.
Ok, my reaction was right in line with that of Brian Cox:

Professor Brian Cox, a former CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."
 And I thought it was cute, funny even. Then I read the last paragraph.
Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.
Wait, what? He just disappeared? Just like that? REALLY!?