Sunday, March 17, 2013

Responsibility and Fault

Jason and I have talked offline about some of the concerns he has with me telling people that they are gods, and are in control of the manifestation of their realities. I didn't really appreciate some of his concerns until yesterday.

I had posted a "Don't Rape, Don't let Others Rape" post on FB for St. Paddy's day, and a friend posted about how teachings like The Secret end up convincing people that everything that happens to them is their own fault. "You got raped? Oh, that was because part of you consented, that is, you wanted to be raped. You were asking for it, and so therefore, your rape is your fault."

I nearly shat myself. All of a sudden, I understood part of what Jason's concern was when he said people do not literally create their own existence all the time, that they are not gods. We magnify everyfucking thing when we blame ourselves.

So let's get something straight about the core of Hermetic Doctrine:
  1. We are all gods with the power to create and maintain our worlds. 
  2. We all have the power to influence (if not fully control) every aspect of our existence through applied hermetic magic.
  3. Through little fault of our own, we have forgotten this fact. In our amnesiac state, we view the world as an ongoing series of stimuli to which we react. In reality, it should be more like 50/50, where we are creating our world and leaving it room to throw us some curve balls so we can keep enjoying the game.
  4. Hermetic Magic is how we remember:
    1. Who we are
    2. Why we're here
    3. How to be gods
  5. SHIT HAPPENS. And it's not your fault. Most of your life you responded and reacted. You still do. I still do. Do Hermetic magic like I do, and you'll create maybe 10% of the time and react the other 90% of the time. But if you create 10% of the time, the other 90% will be mostly positive. Mostly. But shit still happens that is not your fault. You're a creator god among 7 billion creator gods. The only thing that makes you even a little bit special is that you're interested in creating your world. You're still reacting to other people's stuff most of the time that is beyond your current sphere of control.
OK? You understand that, right? There's no blame in this creator-god stuff. There's only opportunity. Whatever happened, why-ever it happened, who cares, it doesn't really matter, honestly. What you've got to do today is a simple matter of who you are, what you want, and the resources you've got at your fingertips. That's it.

When you're happy, if you're interested, you can go back over the shit that makes you sad. You will have plenty of time, and the experience and perspective to understand it in the context of a joyful existence, after you get one. All the bad shit makes sense when you're happy. Get happy, and then worry about stuff. It'll be there to think about later if it's a big deal, and when you're slightly tipsy and just had a brilliant orgasm, your bad relationship choices in your 20s (and 30s) don't really seem to be that big of a deal.

Because they aren't. Shit happens. That's not your fault.

How you react to the shit, that's up to you, largely. What you do with what you have to work with. That is your kingdom. Manage that, take responsibility for that, and you'll soon see the things you control growing, and the things you don't just fading away. Seek first the kingdom. Seek first.

And again: It's not your fault that you fucked up when you didn't know any better. Try again and see how you do this time. If it's not perfect, try again. There's no blame in this shit. There's no fault. There's only FATE, and that is always what you do. Which is your choice, from what we can tell.


  1. But if you create 10% of the time, the other 90% will be mostly positive. Mostly. But shit still happens that is not your fault. You're a creator god among 7 billion creator gods.
    We are always creating. We just only have a capacity to do so with FORCE about 10% of the time, if we're good. The other 90% we are reacting and moving with the mass FLOW of collective conscience - the 7 billion. Every decision we make or action we take we create, whether it was planned or a reaction. Sometimes the FLOW of the world and the FORCE of others is to too strong to determine our outcome, sometimes we don't realized it or even care.
    Point is YOU ARE RIGHT: we can still strive for the 10% and then combine our 10% with as many other like minded 10%s we can find (100th monkey theory). We can still work for positive change personally, locally, and globally.

  2. What you're talking about is a basic trap of Hod/Mercury, i.e. projecting connections between things where connections do not exist

  3. Considering the content of your post I hope that you won't consider this as spam.
    In Maldives a 15 year old girl that was raped was sentenced to be flogged in public for “sex outside marriage”!

    Please consider signing the petition below and doing some magic to stop this insanity.

    Thank You

  4. One of my teachers explained this concept in a way that really resonated with me. That free will, or our ability to manifest our reality, is tied to our body, the one part of us (out of our mind, body, spirit, emotions) that cannot lie.

    Whereas new age thinking often ties manifestation to the mind, "if you think it-- you can do it," the reality is that our body is the seat of manifestation. Thus, when we aren't happy with what we are manifesting in our lives and we notice ourself being triggered (amping up or shutting down inappropriately in response to something) we are often reacting to a story from the past rather than the present situation that we hold in our body and it serves us to call back the projection and track the energy (listening to our felt sense in our body) back to the root which is often a moment in our childhood where an authority figure (parent, church, school, adult, etc.) forced us to ignore what we knew was right in our gut and do something different to survive.

    If we don't do this, that part of us then continues to make the old choice in the present time until we clear it in the body. The stuck part constantly recreates situations in our life to get us to look at it using the manifestation engine of the body. When we clear it, we often are able to manifest a life without the recurring problems around that issue we faced before, i.e. losing jobs constantly.

    In this explanation another difference from the Secret is the idea that we can't clear everything on our own, sometimes situations are caused by an ancestral issue manifesting, or a shadow issue or soul loss that one would need a spiritual practitioner to help clear, but there is the reality that we are manifesting much of our life situation if not all and there is no blame or judgement attached to this as we are simply experiencing the logical consequences of our bodies still acting out of the decisions they made that were the best they could do in the moment to survive.


Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.