Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Time Scale?

I explained how I look at my role as a magician to someone the other day, and they said they had never seen a magician with the same perspective I have on time. I thought I was on the same page as every other magician.

Where does our authority as magicians come from? Have you ever wondered?

I've been saying for years that I am a manifestation of the LOGOS, and as such, have a place of authority over the spirits of the physical and spiritual planes. I was wrong.

In the Corpus Hermeticum, in the Divine Pymander chapter, Man is not the Logos. Man is created by the First Father, the Prime Mover, completely like itself. Man meets and is loved by all the seven planetary governors, and breaks through into the manifest realm to see what's going on there. He sees his own reflection, and falls in love with it. He enters a form shaped by Nature out of love for Man, and is therefore of two natures, immortal and mortal for the sake of Love.

So Man isn't the Logos. He's just the image and companion of the First Father. Interesting! Man still has the love and authority of the seven governors, and the Logos, but it's because we are the image of the First Father that we have any authority over the spirits.

It doesn't change anything functionally, but it does open new doors for exploration.

So my authority over spirits as a magician comes directly from my original creation and the relationship formed between myself and the Seven Governors, the Logos, and all their minions at the dawn of time. I was created to be a companion to God, to be his reflection, and I'm only here in this realm of Nature out of love, because I see my Father in his Works.

Where does yours come from? I know not everyone operates on the Christian Neo-platonic scale, but isn't your basis for being able to perform magic grounded in eternity? Is my time line so different than everyone else's?

I'm going to be asking my postmodernist friends about their perspectives on this, to see if it helps me understand something I'm missing.

3 comments:

  1. My HGA gave me a prayer/series of words that have to do with creation myth. The rest is classified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bible says (he he):

    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

    If God = Logos, and Man =image of God, then Man = image of Logos as well.

    It is also worth noting that when the Logos decided to incarnate, it took the form of a man, rather than some other divine or natural form. There is a saying that God became Man, so that Man might become God. It's the concept of Theosis in the Eastern orthodox church.

    Also, I remember from my History of Early Christianity class, the phrase from Genesis "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." Gen 1:26 The word 'likeness' in english is a poor translation. In Hebrew it is DMVTH , in the greek ομοιωσις homoiousios. There's some discussion about homoiousios, whether it means "similitude" or is a more active noun indicating "becoming". The word "image" in greek is εικονα Ikon.

    This theme runs all throughout Christianity, and it's never emphasized, yet never quite finished off.

    My personal opinion is that my basis is grounded in eternity. If I am not God, I am at least the child of God, and have the ability to command His subjects as any child of a king would: sometimes imperfectly, but with authority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an aspiring musician with an affinity for bass guitar, my sense is that any "authority" I have with the spirits comes from getting in tune and getting a groove on with the spirits, Music is the Mother of everything and the song has always been right now. A human being is Music made flesh with proportion, measure, rhythm, etc. The heart always beats to the rhythm of Life. I liken the Bass to the Sun the heart of the planets because it has four strings like the Sun chariot has four horses, and it stands in the middle of all other instruments like the Sun in the middle of the planets, and it rules the other instruments, creating the steady groove they all follow and joining rhythm and melody together. The drums are like the Moon ticking out the steady phases of time and even look like Moons. Mercury gives you vocals and expressiveness, Venus gives melody and harmony via guitars etc., Mars gives percussion, Jupiter is a little more elusive to me right now but Saturn gives silence and space and rest, and of course the Zodiac gives us our 12 notes. There is really only one song and the magician jams with it, while most people are just spectating it if they even listen at all. The authority comes from listening, grooving, and being willing and even daring to jam.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.