Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On Fraternity

Yesterday was a special occasion for me. I got to meet Jason in person, after a couple years of correspondence. I had a stressful week and needed to get away for a bit, so I figured I'd drive on up to his secluded den in the pine barrens, hang out, talk shop, have lunch...

Jason said to me before I left, you sure you want to drive that far, it's a long trip... I'm all, It's not that bad! My wife sez, It's going to take you longer than you think, you sure you want to go that far? I'm all, Yes I'm sure, it's just a couple hours, no biggie!

I can navigate a grimoire. I can piece together bits and pieces of Agrippa. I can trace Hermetic teachings from the GD back to Hermes Trismagistus.

I got so lost on those highways. Towards the end, he was calling me every few minutes to make sure I was getting to the right streets. To go what mapquest said was 2 hours and 45 minutes took me four hours. I drove up and down this one stretch of highway four (motherfucking) times. The planned late-lunch became dinner.

But let me tell you, it was SO worth the drive. We talked shop, he showed me his altar(s) setup, he taught me so much in the couple of hours we were together, and we had a blast. There was a feeling of camaraderie that I had sensed before at Thelesis, but was much more in tune with in person with Jason. One-on-one magical conversations can get a lot deeper than social settings. It was truly awesome. When I left, the stresses of the past week had been put back into perspective, and I was able to look at it all with fresh eyes, just by hanging out with a cool friend.

Fraternity is awesome. I understand now why things like the GD and monasteries and retreats and mentorships form. They help. A lot.

Oh, and Jason gave me this awesome cross with the ascended Christ on it, pcked full of Christian Occult significance. Dude has CLASS!

3 comments:

  1. Jersey's non-Euclidean, man. My dad lives there, around Newfield. I'm still vaguely familiar with the area, and the last time I tried to visit, it convinced my boyfriend and I that left was right. For an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to New Jersey, RO! Just think, tag another 2 or so hours onto your trip and you can visit us, at the other end of the state. But I think you emphasized pretty well, what I've been saying elsewhere, internet relationships are one thing, but they aren't really friendship and true community without some real face time (and a cup of something, and a bite to eat, helps, too).

    Seems like both you and he had a good time.
    Cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.