Monday, October 18, 2010

About that Business Basics Thing...

I got an email asking me about the business basics book I wrote.

Yes, it covers some of the things Jason wrote about in his recent blog post, and yes, it goes into more detail. It also has nifty pictures illustrating the business process in simple, standard business formats. It walks through the process a friend of mine went through to open a brick and mortar store, and addresses some things I've learned about online retail. There's not a lot of tech, it's mostly basic theory, and it imparts the most important lesson I had to learn about the value of your products or services.

No, it doesn't teach you how to conjure up demons, angels, genius loci, or the spirits of the dead to make you successful. The reason is because spirits and magic doesn't make you successful. They contribute, they help a lot, but the only thing that makes you successful is work. You've heard it a million times from experienced magicians, famous and infamous: the spirits provide opportunities, you provide the sweat. You're the one with a body, not them. they can help, but until you understand the basics of business, and the sweat equity necessary to succeed, you've got nothing.

Another question was how long is it? It's about 7,000 words, on 26 5X8 pages. When Kindle launches Singles, this is the perfect thing for it. In fact, I'm going to be all over Singles when they come out.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, I have to make myself successful? But mooooommmmm, real work is so much effort! Can't a spirit do it for me?

    =p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.