Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Goddamn it Gordon

I'm on my phone posting this at 3:00 in the morning because I can't stop thinking of baroque magic.

If it's not baroque, don't fix it!

There, i said it. That was burning my brain.

But he's got me thinking. I use specialized language a lot. Hermetic stuff that is almost ro specific. Spheres and such.

After talking to different people in the flesh at crucible, I've remembered some things about semantics I had forgotten.

So for a while at least, i will be trying out plain english again. I'm going to be talking in ways anyone can understand, I hope. No guarantees on how long it will last, but we shall see.

3 comments:

  1. THANK you for picking that up! Was kinda hoping it would make it into the comments.

    But it's better here. :)

    Sidebar: I would have also accepted "all these new magic books are sending me baroque."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that'll delay me finishing my RO-to-English dictionary. The section on insults was getting particularly hilarious =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, RO
    There are a lot of advantages in not using "plain english"
    Words are slippery. The "concept" of energy comes to mind.
    Spheres is a good concept, real, coherent, and clear. If the person is too lazy to understand the concept, you probably don~t want them to be your public

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.